What?! Blending your morning coffee with a chunk of butter and a spoonful of coconut oil?
Are these guys crazy?
Bulletproof Coffee, which is a cup of black coffee with grass-fed butter and medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) oil mixed in, was designed by Dave Asprey, owner of Bulletproof Executive, to “Supercharge your brain function and create effortless fat loss with no cravings.”
It is very popular among Athletes and Paleo dieters.
The fat from the butter and the oil creates a filling effect, and the coffee’s caffeine helps make fatty acids more available for uptake into fat and muscle tissue, where it can immediately be used as energy. The omega-3 fatty acids in the butter and coconut oil may help reduce inflammation and lower your triglyceride levels.
Though Bulletproof coffee is relatively recent in the west., Tibetans have fueled up on buttery drinks for centuries. That’s how Bulletproof creator Dave Asprey stumbled upon the idea. “What converted me was watching these Sherpas, some of the toughest human beings I have ever seen, live mostly on a mixture of yak-butter tea for days on end,” says Asprey. “It tasted creamy, good, and strangely rejuvenating; I felt better on that trip than on any other high-altitude trek.” Asprey returned home and created his own version with coffee.
Basic Bulletproof requires just three ingredients and a blender
Basic Bulletproof Recipe
- Boil 1 cup filtered water.
- Use the water to brew strong black coffee from 2 1/2 heaping Tbsp of freshly ground coffee beans.
- Add 1 tsp MCT oil (you can work up to 2 Tbsp over several days, but go slow to avoid disaster pants).
- Add 1 Tbsp grass-fed unsalted butter or ghee (you can work up to 2 or more Tbsp over several days).
- Mix in a blender for 30 seconds, until it’s creamy and no oil sits on the surface.
- Put up a smile and enjoy 🙂
If you’re more ambitious try out using the Brain Octane Oil, but beginners please use MCT.